Here are some FAQs about US Visas that you should know if you’re planning to apply for a visa:

  1. Should I bring originals or photocopies of documents to the visa interview?

It depends on the visa type that you’re applying for. Make sure to research which documents are required when applying for different visas. You’ll then know all of the requirements including whether original or photocopy versions of your documents are needed.

  1. After securing a visa do I have to return to the consulate for fingerprints?

It’s not needed. If you’ve already your visa then you can travel already just so your visa is valid. You won’t be required to get fingerprinted at the US consulate. Then you arrive at the US port of entry you’ll then be fingerprinted electronically, so the process isn’t required at the consulate after you receive your passport.

  1. How early should I apply for a US visa?

It takes 2-3 business days to process the majority of US applications. However, in the case, that extra processing is needed it can take up to 12 weeks. Another issue is it can be difficult to get appointments with the US embassy/consulate. So it’s important to apply for the visa at the earliest time possible. A good timeframe is to apply 3 months in advance.

  1. How can I transfer my maiden name in my old passport to my married name in my new passport?

You simply cannot do that. What you’ll have to do when you travel to the US is to bring both passports with you. You should also bring your original marriage certificate. This can function as proof that you’ve indeed married and have a new family name.

  1. What if my current and passport addresses are different?

This is an important question when you have to list your current address on the DS-160 form. It’s important to list your current home address rather than the addresses that are listed in your passport. This is necessary because it’s the address where you’re currently residing at and the one the US embassy/consulate can contact you at. If you’re not living at the address in your passport it will be a tougher process.

  1. Can I get a valid visa transferred to a new passport?

Let’s say that you already have a valid US visa in your old passport but the passport has expired. You cannot have the visa transferred to the new passport. What you’ll have to do is carry both the old and new passport with you when you travel between the US and your home country. You must do this until the old visa expires. There’s also no need to secure a new visa in the new passport to replace the old one.

In the case that you don’t want to carry your old passport with you then you must apply that the visa can be attached to your new passport throughout the visa interview process. You can pay all fees for getting the new US visa issued.